Check out our Traditional, Soft & Fluffy Vanilla Cake Recipe, made using our new and convenient ready-made Big Oz Sponge Mix, now available to buy from our website!
There are endless vanilla cake recipes online, each have their own style and result. The recipe we want to share with you is a traditional, old-fashioned family recipe that’s been handed down over many generations.
If like us, you like to enjoy a flavorful, soft and fluffy type of sponge cake. Then this recipe is a must-try, guaranteeing the perfect balance between the right texture and taste!
Soft, Fluffy Traditional Vanilla Cake
- 280 grams Big Oz Sponge Mix
- 140 ml water
- 1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tbsp salt (optional)
- 1.5 cups sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 degree F / Gas Mark 5.
- Mix the ready-made sponge mix with 140ml of water and 1/4 tbsp of salt, blend for 1 minuet on medium speed, then scrape bowl down, before blending for a further 4 minuets on medium speed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the evaporated milk & sugar (sugar is optional as the mix is already sweetened)
- Pour batter evenly into 2 well greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in oven at 190 C / 375 degree F / Gas Mark 5 for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Watch it carefully, you will not want to over bake this cake, as soon as the toothpick comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and let it rest in the pans for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Big Oz Sponge Mix – Available Online!
Our new sponge mix is a super-convenient ready-made sponge mix that contains the exact right amount of ingredients to make the perfect light and fluffy sponge!
We’ve taken traditional baking recipes and combined the base ingredients into handy, ready-made mixes ideal for endless quick and easy, no-fail baking.
*Please see product information on ingredients, allergens and nutrition.
Vanilla Cake Frosting
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer or when a teaspoonful of the mixture dropped into ice water forms a soft ball that holds its shape when cool.
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla extract to soft peaks in a large bowl.
- With the mixer on medium high speed, slowly begin to pour the sugar syrup down the side of the egg white bowl in a thin continuous stream.
- Continue to whip the frosting until it forms stiff peaks.
- Frost your cake immediately with this frosting while it is still slightly warm as it is easier to spread smoothly than if allowed to cool completely.
Big Oz sponge mix is ideal for quick and easy home baking, with guaranteed great tasting results. Not only is this a super-easy way of baking – Big Oz Sponge Mix is also suitable for vegetarians.